New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Cataclysm Texture Edits
Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:48 am 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:0%

Right so, the thread was first about a blp editor, but now it's a more general question. Changed the name to see if any of the skinners could help.

Both me and Kalwa are seemingly having the same issue that, after extracing Cata textures (tier 11 in this case), converting them to PNG, editing them, converting them back to BLP and putting them in a fresh MPQ, the skins don't seem to work ingame.

What we are sure of
- We're using correct filenames for the MPQ
- the MPQ itself is not "broken" (other files inside the MPQ do work ingame)

so what are we doing wrong?

Old post is below, incase anyone cares to still read it :p
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, I wanted to mess about with the new cata skins a bit but noticed that my old BLP editor doesnt work anymore

Cataclysm Texture Edits

Googled a bit but there seemingly isn't a new version (BLPConverter (C) 2006 Patrick Cyr)
Is there a new BLP converter to be used or a different one, or different settings or so that I'm missing?

updated (t11 question):

As some might remember I made some edits of the t10 set as well. I started on t11 yesterday but I can't seem to get them to work. I know the 'basics' of the packing and such as I simply re-make the big MPQ that I'm already using (and working). However the edited t11 files that I'm adding don't seem to work, which leads me to belief that either the new textures need a different way of importing/exporting or I'm edited the wrong files.

Some examples of files I tested:
Plate_RaidDeathKnight_I_01Black_Chest_TU_F.blp
Plate_RaidDeathKnight_I_01Black_Pant_LU_U.blp
Robe_RaidMage_I_01Blue_Chest_TL_F.blp
Robe_RaidMage_I_01Blue_Chest_TU_F.blp

These I got from the wow-update-13164.MPQ o wow-update-13287.MPQ files (can't remember which of the 2). Anyone with ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Oh, by the way, with not working I mean they simply show up ingame as unedited. Seeing as I'm EU I can't test it in wowmodelviewer either as there doesnt seem to be a working version for EU with t11 in it.

Last edited by on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:48 am 

I dont know if this will help but i was having similar issues when combining MPQs. Id have some of the files working while others in the same MPQ wouldnt show up. I had to change the name of the file to SoundCache-patch-13329.mpq as i had been using SoundCache3.MPQ originally. once i switched the names around i got everything working again. So maybe certain things work in certain patches and others dont. not sure cause im a noob at this stuff. Hope this helps tho as im eager to see some armor edits for cata equips.

<3

Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:51 pm 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:5%

surely some of the other skinners could help me here?

not necessarily a fix but another possible program to use, preferably one that allows multiple files at once

*begs*

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:54 am 

Bumping this as I've updated the OP with a new question

Posted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:52 pm 

Just tried it out a bit and it seems that both programs (the one u linked and the one i had) have problems with 'smaller' files. All the big (60kb+) files are converted fine, all smaller ones give an error or seem to be ignored. No idea why though

Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:13 am 

in due time ye :p

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:38 pm 

It works. You gotta make sure you grab the right file. I was doing work on the new dungeon blue textures, and thought the same thing. Turns out I pulled 1kb files out, which generates an error when you try to convert them. I think the proper T11 textures are in one of the patch-####.MPQ files. Just make sure it's like 48kb or larger, and not 1. I used the older MyWarcraftStudio since it has a built in BLP viewer, and the proper BLPs will show, and the weird files with nothing in them show nothing.

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:03 am 

So Funk your gonna making tier 11 mods for all classses?

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:12 pm 

Nice to see someone doing this Re: Cataclysm Texture Edits even though i'm not really into nude mods, i like the sexy mods more Re: Cataclysm Texture Edits
I've also done an edit for my priest armor, the Musk Rose Robes, bought from justice points.

The names from the justice points armor are as follow;
Robe_DungeonRobe_C_04Priest_Chest_TU_F
Plate_DungeonPlate_C_04Paladin_Chest_TU_F
i guess you get the point for all the others Re: Cataclysm Texture Edits

Re: Cataclysm Texture Edits

Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:44 pm 

tancients wrote:
This is pretty much the most likely culprit for the issues of them not showing up in game. You can't just stick something anywhere now and expect it to work, you'll need to keep it in the relative update file, or the game's version will override your edit.

yeah thats what i thought also. seems that 13329.mpq is some kinda override file maybe? cause everything i have is in that one mpq and it all works to the best of my knowledge.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3
 >> Next