New Topic Post Reply  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:04 pm 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:0%

More recent versions of 3dsmax notoriously mess up obj imports of the kind we are interested in, I too had to downgrade to version 9.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:59 am 

Thanks for the imba tool! It works wonders but my only problem is that 3ds max 2010 DOES add some strange hidden verts to areas where I use tools like "shift" or "relax", though it's supposed to modify only the already existing verts. :/
It might have been asked already but can you use those tools in previous versions of 3ds max and successfully inject the .obj back into the .m2?
because now I'm limited to moving/scaling/rotating the model parts.
I have tinkered with 3ds for a couple of days now and haven't found anything that allows me to use those tools without fucking up the vertex count.
I would really appreciate it if anyone found a solution for that cuz it's a pain in the ass to modify higher poly models by just moving verts around manually.

>.< short version: Can i prevent the 3ds max 2010 from adding verts when shifting the model or does 3ds max 9 also add some strange verts?

Edit: and what geoset#s the bEnableSkirtGeosets command swaps?

Second edit: I fiddled with 3ds max 2010 and found out that you can use the relax *MODIFIER* without adding those pesky verts but don't try to convert the mesh into an editable poly (or import it as poly) and use the similar freeform tools.
As long as you stick with the editable mesh you'll be fine.
woot, now back to editing :D

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:53 pm 

Your mod works fine on my PC as well.

However, I am also seeing the deformation you're talking about in the walk/run animations. After removing your patch and re-examining the stock walk/run animations, I THINK they have been modified for v3.0. Pre-3.0, only the nipple area seemed to 'bounce' while walking, and now the enitre breast moves slightly. With your Nelf Cannons of Awesome, the bounce is signifigantly more pronoucned, causing some odd deformations. Won't stop me from using your model howerver!

Another pair of eyes is all, you may have come to these conclusions already, or I could be wrong on the change in animations.

Also want to thank the great work from all the modders here. I like my games deviant!

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:01 pm 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:5%

I just got home and tried using the models out of Patch-2.mpq instead of the ones out of common-2.mpq that i had used, and it worked fine *blush* sorry guys :P

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:57 am 

Finally, an easy question! Just turn on the bDivideEdges = true option.

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:35 am 

Thank you ! that makes me soo much better, hehe Re: TP's Hi-Res Model Tool (Latest build Jan. 9, 2010)

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:03 pm 

I'm afraid I can't, I don't know a thing about Autodesk 2010. Unless you are doing something simple like adding verts in 2010 I don't think I can help you. There is no way of distinguishing one vert from another in an obj file other than it's position (index) within the file, so if a 3d program rearranges them there is nothing my tool can do with it.

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:11 pm 

doesn't change how arrogant that post sounded.

a programmer is honestly the last person that should decide what's the appropriate interface for anything, the client/target audience is. nor should he choose what kind of people should use his application.

this particular application requires the user to spend a while trying to figure out what the programmer had in mind to make sense of it. that's a pretty big hint right there.

how about asking the target audience about how the interface should b? that's what they teach software developers in interface classes.

also people who "are smart and computer savvy enough" tend to make shit models. 2d/3d artists and animations majors tend to make good stuff, but tools are almost always too hard for them to use. stuff like this just keeps the potential good modelers out.

i personally don't care that much, as long as the program works i can figure it out. i just dislike when programmers who purposely make hard to use software when it would only take 10 mins to make an interface for it thus enabling a LOT more people to use them.

there has never been any reason ever against convenience other than el33tist attitudes or laziness.

edit: Blu_Haze, i'm a 27 year old software major and a 2d artist on my free time, don't assume i dunno what i'm talking about.

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:25 pm 

Lyell wrote:
If you're not importing/exporting as .OBJ it's not going to work. Also, model editing tools used to make the edit process easier tend to add ghost verticies. So long as you avoid using them you should be fine.

Alright that makes a little sense, i was importing and exporting as OBJ however my exports were always around 250 verts higher, i think its because i got the newest version of 3dsMAX and i cant copy the options that TP was using because it has a different set of options to choose from.

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:56 am 

Cams0x69 wrote:
I got it, someone PM'd me.

Me too PLEASE Re: TP's Hi-Res Model Tool (Latest build Jan. 9, 2010)

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 394 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40
 >> Next