New Topic Post Reply  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:22 am 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:0%

That reminds me, I remember hearing a statement from Blizzard (probably in an interview) that they like to keep their departments tight-knit and like a small community. I believe (at the time) they said they had about 50~ people in the art department (or combination of art/model/animation departments), and seeing as how the quote in OP's post states that the Worgen and Goblin took a considerable amount of time to do the art/animations, I would imagine re-working over the 8 classics (probably wouldn't need to do the Belfs/Draenei since they are better quality than the others) would take a very long time to do, which is probably one of the reasons they put it off for so long, if they aren't, at the least, working on it as we speak.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:57 am 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:5%

Lionhearte wrote:
More people working on a single project does NOT mean it will be done on time. There's different departments, limited resources, and there will always be bugs that need to be ironed out. You name something that has been proven to come out faster because there's 10.000 people working on it. It just doesn't happen. Look at congress.
While your point about bureaucracy is valid, this isn't even a case of something that needs to be "on time". It was past due to upgrade the polycounts on these upwards of two years ago. It's not a good look.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:17 am 

Kolenzo wrote:
If nothing else, have you heard of economies of scale?

Besides, an art team isn't something you can just throw money at and expect to see more/"better" results.

Theoretically let's just assume that when I said 'time allotted' in reference to this situation, I meant from the time BC was released and the classic character models recieved no touch ups.

Now, can everyone step the fuck off my case?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:22 pm 

vlarg wrote:
It isn't free. Re: Update: Blizzard's New Character Models Every single subscriber pays them $15 a month. That's far, far, far more than it takes to cover operational costs. Buyable trinkets and accessories are incidental, cleverly planned cash grabs with a demographic that desires them even though they have no meaningful impact on the game. What characters look like is part and parcel to the basic gameplay experience.
I don't think they're making that much, after all, with each new person playing, it may be $15 extra a month (and the actual game fee, whatever expansion they buy), but that's just another person on the server load.

I think there real problem is the servers they're running on are meant for the '00 games (didn't they use WC3's engine?) and can't handle as much, which is why it's so expensive and always breaks at unexpected times.

What they should do is update to some better ultra-servers to better handle the load of players. But that's offtopic...

ScDK wrote:
<br oncontextmenu="return true;">*pulls out large warhammer* c'mere, you.<br oncontextmenu="return true;">They're not top priority, but with the model edits that do NOT focus entirely on the breasts, i would suppose there's quite a bit of things to fix.<br oncontextmenu="return true;">Like...the claws (ingame, we call those "hands") of the various models, and overall polygon count, especially in areas that bend. I get nightmares when i imagine a real human deforming like that when he waves his arm.<br oncontextmenu="return true;">Sure, this isn't Aion (which excels at graphics, but gameplay is like a copy from WoW with some extras added, but immensely heavy grinding and unfair mob stats (level 20 elite VS level 37 character being tough? k), and the design is supposed to be cartoony, but they could really make some more appealing cartoon characters without going towards "realism".<br oncontextmenu="return true;">After all, they revamped NPCs already (see: Kobolds), could do the same with players someday, tho mixed reactions would follow.
I've played Aion as well, the models are great with customization, I spent about 3 hours making my first character and then about an hour playing before the game felt a bit repetitive. But, Belfs/Draenei have at least a higher texture than the rest, they could add some more polygons but if they were indeed strapped for time or wanted to get new models out as quickly as possible, they could safely skip them without too much uproar. Personally, I would like them to overhaul all the current races, so I just hope they don't take that loophole.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:39 pm 

Well, judging by the things they've done in patches so far, my guess would be that it will be a patch that overhauls the models. Of course, with a preview of those models 3 or 4 patches before that, but still, most likely a patch.

I'd rather stand in Hell than kneel in Heaven

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:30 pm 

Butterwaffle wrote:
They share the same, or a very similar wire frame form what I can tell. The curve in the back and the backwards-knee thing in the lower leg (What's the proper term for that?) gave it away most for me. It was even more apparent in their first proper revelation, where their poses were shown as some of those draenei already have, likely because they weren't quite finished with the custom ones yet.
Reverse joint leg/knee? Perhaps?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:14 pm 

Lionhearte wrote:
I don't think they're making that much, after all, with each new person playing, it may be $15 extra a month (and the actual game fee, whatever expansion they buy), but that's just another person on the server load.

I think there real problem is the servers they're running on are meant for the '00 games (didn't they use WC3's engine?) and can't handle as much, which is why it's so expensive and always breaks at unexpected times.

What they should do is update to some better ultra-servers to better handle the load of players. But that's offtopic...
They've upgraded extremely recently. Those catastrophic failures are nowhere near as common as they used to be.

You are atmospherically overestimating their operational costs. W0W is an insane cash cow for Activision.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:32 pm 

I fired up the beta and while the models seem to be the same they have added some other stuff. I'm not sure I noticed everything but they definitely added self-shadows (which were kinda crappy) and an environment map (aka. shine) which I could only see when my character was standing in the shade.

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:40 pm 

Silinrun wrote:
Oh look another complainer about how WoW's too easy. STFU and go do everything on hardmode if you want challenge's go do all of ICC in blues and greens with the 30% buff turned off, stop bitching about it being too easy when you probably haven't even seen the bosses that really are hard.

When I look at the big picture, which is, what they're trying to do is to have more of the average player base enjoy the other aspects of WoW. I was originally in a #1 raid guild on a US server. We were wearing epic gear at least 6 months before the realm started seeing epics on a regular basis. Which means only a small percentage of us were enjoying the game after the cap.

I think they are trying to get more people to enjoy more of the game and to not quit soon after the level cap (my guess). Call it business or what you will, but, in the long run, this will maintain WoW's health and longevity.

Because, let's all agree here, not everyone knows about nude mod. Re: Update: Blizzard's New Character Models Hell, I'd probably have quit if I didn't know about this place.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:02 am 

Sabiru wrote:
Someone asked that question and Chris said that this is something that they are mostly completed but want to add more dances to it. And whenever the animators have spare time, they try to get them to create more dances. Once they have where they think is a lot of dances, they'll release the whole package. Chilton or Street said that it's like the barber shop, where they had only a handful of extra hairstyles and whatnot and didn't want the dance studio to have just a few dances.

That's good that they are still working on it and that's there's some new info about it. But IMO all they needed to do was make every race and gender able to do every other race's and gender's dance. Of course some of them would be done rather poorly... like a tauren male trying to do the belf female dance... it just would not look right. But it would be hilarious and that would make it worth it Re: Update: Blizzard's New Character Models .

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 >> Next