All times are UTC [ DST ]

New Topic Post Reply  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2
Previous topic | Next topic 
Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:38 pm 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:0%

If you Fix your pictures to have less then a width of 600 Pixels i will put this into the place where it belongs.
which is The

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:33 am 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:5%

Chaisy wrote:
A lot of people don't seem to understand fundamentally how a DBC file works.

A DBC file is basically Blizzard's custom delimiter-separated values file ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delimiter-separated_values ). The most common version is probably the CSV text file. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values ). But Blizzard doesn't use CSVs, they use something a little less accessible (DBCs), probably to dissuade people from editing them in the first place.

The reason DBC edits don't work is because you're trying to use a 3.3.5 - era DBC file that has a different number of values that is supposed to be there in the 4.0.1 version of the game. Or the values are no longer in the same order.

So for example, the place... (etc.)

I do know all that, but as I said in the other similar thread, the ItemDisplayInfo.DBC doesn't even seem to load anymore. At first, I tried messing around in it but found no changes. Then I tried to corrupt the file, simply by making a .txt file and renaming it to ItemDisplayInfo.DBC. I've tried using the name of MPQs from both data and data/engGB in both folders. Game started up fine and everything was there every single time. This has lead me to believe that the ItemDisplayInfo.DBC file is always loaded from the .MPQ files or the file is simply not used anymore. At least, I haven't had any luck in my attempts.

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:39 pm 

Fairly new to this forum (joined only last week) and I, too, was confused about what's being said about moving stuff around AND using the Editor..........then it dawned on me a few days ago (when the work around was discovered) on what was being said to do:

This only seems to apply to anything that's been updated to comply with 4.0.1 and seems to work quite well on the texture skins and models atm:

As always, make sure you have downloaded the latest version of Ladik's MPQ editor before attempting this.

1. Go into your Data file in your World of Warcraft directory and make a new folder and call it whatever you want it with the .MPQ extension. Example: I go in and create a folder and rename it to patch-A.MPQ

2. This step will vary based on what you're trying to do as there are 2 ways to it (depending on what you've gotten a hold of in so far as whether the files updated were converted over or it's a straight MPQ file that wasn't set up in the new workaround format:

a. If it's a download set up with the workaround and you have to manually put these in, you need to go and create a sub folder within your new folder and name it Character. Then, go into it and make a sub folder inside the new Character subfolder and name it whatever race it's supposed to be. Finally, go into that new subfolder and make a new one and call it Female.

b. If it's an MPQ file and it's not set up in the new format, part A won't have to be applied as I was able to find the necessary files easily and converted.

3. Open up Ladik's MPQ Editor and then select whatever file that you want to install that's been updated and import it into the editor. Now, depending on the method you had to do (based on what you downloaded), the extraction is the same......but, how you find it will be different.

a. If you had to do part A in step 2, then you gotta go through and open each individual directory til you get to the different sub files, select them all, and then go and tell it to extract the files and select your newly created directory (with associated sub folders) and select ok and VOILA!, the program will extract them straight to the new folder.

Note: You will have to create a new MPQ file and do step 2, part A inside it to get it to work and import those individual files into your template in Ladik's for this to work properly. Also, you'll need to set the hash settings to 4096 and attributes (put a check mark inside the 4 boxes) when you create this template inside Ladik's. When you import those files, just click Ok when it shows you the conversion rules...it's not necessary to adjust them when it's about to import them. You can then delete that whole template afterwards.

b. If you had to do part B, then it's easier to do. Select the Character file, tell it to extract it, select your new folder as the destination and hit OK and VOILA! the program will extract them straight to the new folder.

4. Close out the MPQ editor, boot up World of Warcraft, log in, and see the end results.

Hopefully, this is a lot more clearer explanation and (hopefully) makes it easier on those trying to explain it without having to go through and answer several dozen questions on how to do it.

Also, for some of the older files that haven't been updated, loading that file into Ladik's and changing the hash size up two arrows and then checking the 3 boxes in the attributes will easily convert it up to the current Wrath settings. If you get an error message about the file size when trying to change the hash size, then don't mess with it and just change up the attributes. It'll still convert it up to the Wrath settings.

On a different note, the screen for typing everything you want to say is driving me nuts as I gotta stop to double check everything because it's not scrolling all the way down to see what you're trying to type after a certain point and you gotta manually scroll it or hit the preview button to see what you wrote. Hopefully this is something that can easily be solved on the admin end. I would appreciate that (as well as others, I'm sure).

Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:06 pm 

stickcorporation wrote:
i can confirm this works, just rename the extracted folder to patch-x.MPQ. That being said the "X" can be changed to letters from a-z or numbers 0-9.

For example
Patch-a.MPQ
Patch-b.MPQ
Patch-c.MPQ
Patch-1.MPQ
Patch-2.MPQ
Patch-3.MPQ

etc.

Actually, you can't arbitrarily use just the numbers........I just tried changing some that I had either a double letter combo or letter and number combo to just numbers...........and the game didn't like that at all and gave me an error 132 two straight times.

When I reverted the files that I changed to plain numbers BACK to the double letter or letter and number combo, it didn't act up.

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:18 am 

I just want to drop the official link the the MPQ editor here, http://www.zezula.net/en/mpq/download.html, because otherwise it looks fishy that an EXE is hosted on mediafire.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2