All times are UTC [ DST ]

New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:42 am 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:0%

I'm sure everyone who cares already knows by now about Cata patch and model edits. When I was thinking about possible solutions, I came across the question of exactly HOW did it break? My best guess would be a lockdown on the list of data that is read into the game. It might explain why we can no longer piggy-back our models by naming it a higher priority patch and skins still work by replacing a whitelisted sound patch.

On that line of thinking, I am going to see what happens if I try and insert the model edits into the main character mpqs directly. Essentially, replacing the basic models. I will play with it tonight when I can get back to my main computer and post the results. I was wondering though if anyone had this same idea and whether or not anything came out of it?

Let me know if you did. Thanks, and looking forward to hearing from others until we have the solution nailed!

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:42 am 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:5%

kefkamadman wrote:
Quite a while ago a great number of us were loading up patches from Zilem and Arohk and such using WoWME. Back then, it was the only way to get them working, without exception. then Blizz opened them up and rendered WoWME useless for a while. That was nice, albeit feeling weird without needing WoWME, but still nice.

I do have some pretty strong doubts about Blizz opening things up to us again like the last time. As such, I'm looking forward to a new version of WoWME, or something similar.

I don't think Blizzard opened them up because they wanted to be nice. Frankly, I think they were either in a transition to a new Warden/detection system or they wanted to do a comprehensive investigation of all the types of hacks out there.

What I would like is another WoWme that lies to the hash system they have in place. But I have no idea the extent of their checks system and what all is needed to fool the game.

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:21 pm 

Well Domer, if you can manage to get model edits working again somehow, you'll be my hero and I'll worship the very ground you walk on, for at least a day. Maybe more, depending on how desperate I get to see my massive boobed pally again.

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:29 pm 

Found this on MMOwned seems they figured it out.
http://www.mmowned.com/forums/world-of- ... f-5-a.html

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:45 pm 

I seriously doubt that the model geometry changed between LK and Cata. The issue when going from BC to LK was that they added in the barber shop which changed the model geometry, since hairstyles are a part of the basic model file.

All that likely changed with the models themselves is the file format since we didn't get any new hair options or armor geometry to my knowledge.

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:01 pm 

Meh, people at mmowned aren't what they used to be, its mostly (worthless)elitists and idiots now.

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:34 pm 

MMOWNED has been pretty useless for quite awhile now.

They do have a few extremely capable posters, but whether they've an interest in loading custom character models or said imaginary MPQ loader is still only in closed channels remains to be seen.

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:06 am 

Sabiru wrote:
Good luck on that. Don't mind the million views since most people lurk instead of post, but you probably already know that.

If I had something interesting to contribute to threads, I would post. As it is, I don't, so I don't really post all that much.

Good luck, Domer!

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:32 am 

if i remember correctly, back then, wow closed with a crit error when custom model were loaded. didn't the old wowme simply prevent wow from closing after the crit error? and even the error log files were created everytime when wow was started using wowme.

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:31 pm 

Domer wrote:
That was a good read. For those who do not want to shift through all the pages, here is a synopsis of what others have found:

The new patching system partially changes the base models instead of replacing them fully.
    The base character model MPQs cannot be changed because the hash code is checked at runtime.
    The patching MPQs are probably unlocked, but current model tools cannot make the partial type needed with a reference to the previous files.
    Texture, interface, and world edits are still possible because their hash code is unchecked.
    The split character files are causing the noticeable lag time when the game first loads them on the screen (best seen when logging into a city).
    Blizzard might consolidate the models back into a master to fix this once they are more finalized, which could or could not also be locked.

After reading through all the discoveries, the thread seemed to point to three methods to solving the problem:

Creating a program (some called it an injector) that bypasses or tricks the hash code check so we can replace the base models. Think along the lines of Wowme.
    Creating new modeling tools that mimic Blizzard's patch types. From my understanding, these would always have to be the latest number and reference all previous versions to work.
    Or finally, and my least favorite, wait some time to see how Blizzard responds to the loading lag problem they have created.

I do not know enough about the model editing tools, but I do have some programming background so creating a new Wowme got me interested to learn more. After I finish my current website project I will have some free time to devote to this. I'll keep the community updated with any breakthroughs. Good luck to those working on solutions themselves!

Good luck on that. Don't mind the million views since most people lurk instead of post, but you probably already know that.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4
 >> Next