New Topic Post Reply  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:17 pm 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:5%

Update:
At the Art Discussion panel in Blizzcon, the Art Director, Chris R., mentioned that they want to do new character models, but have only started on concept and some ideas. They don't have a time frame. Additionally, there was a question made when every player starts getting all or most of their Tier gear, everyone starts looking the same and he asked the crew if there were changes coming for that. The employee agreed and wanted to find ways to make it look more unique for each player.

I think that this reinforces my belief that they may not introduce new character models as a content update (could always be wrong), but as an expansion highlight.

I don't think I can wait that long; I don't think I want to be playing WoW for so long.

Video Clip: The question and comment is at the very beginning at the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkYoC-At ... re=related

Older Material:
According to Ghostcrawler:

Still no word on updated player models for classic races makes me angry. 3 expansions with not a single update on it.
We definitely want to do it. Our artists would love to - believe me. The worgen and goblin took an enormous amount of art and animation time for Cataclysm. It's definitely on the list though. We recognize the problem with old models in shiny new armor.

I think that will mean new character models will be available on Expansion 4. I can't see them delivering it on a content update inbetween Cataclysm and then.

Last edited by on Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:17 pm 

peregrine1989 wrote:
I would like to comment on anyone who is complaining about wow models compared to other games.

While I agree that WoW will never have anything on Linerage and Aion models, both those games demand high quality PCs. One of the reasons I favor wow over a lot of other good MMOs is that it recognizes that some people try to play it on laptops....

I have tried to play Aion on a laptop, and dear god, I felt sorry for my laptop.... great looking game, but damn.

And besides, while I would love better models, I would rather new and better content then have them make better looking games.

They were until this year, making 4 games at once. Wrath/Cata, Diablo 3, Star Craft 2, and there super secret MMO, in addition the the books and movie. You comment on them making a lot of money.... from everything I have read, they are spending a lot too.

Be patient, it will come....
Uh, as for comparing WoW to Lineage or even Lineage 2, WoW's at least as good as L2, without a doubt better then L1 graphically, and continues to improve where I don't think L2 has in ages, do they still even update L2? They were moving onto a Lineage 3 but something happened and that plan was put on hold.

Anyway... yeah graphically impressive MMO's fail, because they require really high end computers to play smoothly and even then, it can still go badly. Plus, they tend too much too much awesome into looks and not enough into actual game-play (Aion was like that if I recall correctly) Lineage 1-2 didn't need high end PCs though. L2 plays fine on my piece of shit PC, probably plays better then WoW does now even rofl...

PS: I think the comparison between L2 and WoW is, L2's models are more realistic vs WoW's more cartoonish style.

Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:50 pm 

sorrin wrote:
Technically, the joint you are referring to in both the Worgen and Draenei models would be considered their 'ankle' rather than a 'reversed knee', seeing as the knee is the first join below the hip on legs.

Imagine the Draenei feet as having just a single toe, and that toe's nail is the hoof itself.

...just like most everything else what walks on hooves. Pawed creatures are similarly constructed until you get to the paws themselves.

Bloody hell, not THAT pox...

Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:06 am 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:0%

Zilem wrote:
I still don't see the resemblance with the Draeneis and Worgens...

They share the same, or a very similar wire frame form what I can tell. The curve in the back and the backwards-knee thing in the lower leg (What's the proper term for that?) gave it away most for me. It was even more apparent in their first proper revelation, where their poses were shown as some of those draenei already have, likely because they weren't quite finished with the custom ones yet.

Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:54 am 

vlarg wrote:
It isn't free. Re: Update: Blizzard's New Character Models Every single subscriber pays them $15 a month. That's far, far, far more than it takes to cover operational costs. Buyable trinkets and accessories are incidental, cleverly planned cash grabs with a demographic that desires them even though they have no meaningful impact on the game. What characters look like is part and parcel to the basic gameplay experience.
Lionhearte wrote:
I don't think they're making that much, after all, with each new person playing, it may be $15 extra a month (and the actual game fee, whatever expansion they buy), but that's just another person on the server load.15$/12€ x 10mil users per month
+40$/24€ x users buying the expansion
+10$/€ per user that buys a non-combat pet from the Blizz-store
+20$/€ per user that buy a Celestial Steed from the Blizz-store
-? Employes fee
-? Maintence fee
-? stuff
= i just don't what to know what the imcome is.

raddae wrote:
Well I'm guessing/hoping that they won't touch the character texture maps since they have so many textures for clothing and armor textures that are specifically made for the texture maps used by all the character models, it'd be crazy to have to redo all of them. Plus I'd be pretty mad if they did cuz of all the editing that I've done to my game.I hardly doubt they will, have you seen how much they re-use Animations skeletons?
Sabers, Cats, Wyvern mounts, Alliance guild mount all use the same
same goes for undead male and Skeleton, Vrykul male, and Northrend skeleton

and for mapping
new Goblins and old Goblins; no change for the body atleast
Dryad and Crystal Dryad are overall the same
Satyr and Crystal Satyr are also overall the same

there are more then which i have listed above, also i don't remeber all right now...
but if you dig into model viewer and start looking you might either be surpriced or just shake your head to the amount

Also every character skins was base of 256x256 x256 colors
after wrath of the lichking the base is 256x256 x256 colors or 512x512 x256 colors
and yes, Blizz can improve much with just multi-layers and with a higher color limit
they can even improve the model without changing the mapping or only change it a tiny bit

I hope they atleast increase the color limit
anda change of the 50/50 mirror way of textures one day, would just be too good to be true... but i guess it's what you fear
(for exemple if i wanted a tattor or something it my on characters arm, the other arm would be mirrored alike, because if the mirror they made with...)

But if you already re-did most of your work already and then it turns out the client just ignores them
would't that atleast drive you mad, just tell us when you want to join our club.

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:31 pm 

Zilem wrote:
15$/12€ x 10mil users per month
+40$/24€ x users buying the expansion
+10$/€ per user that buys a non-combat pet from the Blizz-store
+20$/€ per user that buy a Celestial Steed from the Blizz-store
-? Employes fee
-? Maintence fee
-? stuff
= i just don't what to know what the imcome is.

http://www.geekologie.com/image.php?pat ... t-full.jpg

This chart is about a year or so old, but should still be relevant enough to put things in perspective. The operational upkeep is the important thing to take away to answer your question. Also, remember that the upkeep could have increased/decreased since Blizz recently upgraded server hardware since this chart was compiled. It also doesn't take employee salary into account. But multiplying the estimated daily upkeep, the yearly cost is 49.9m USD. Which is a fraction of the 800m USD estimated income just from the EU and US alone. Also, remember the estimated income is for subscriptions, not for the initial purchase of a retail copy/expac

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:23 am 

renri wrote:
In any case, you seem to have no clue how game development works. The team responsible for "making it easier for casuals" has absolutely nothing to do with the team that updates in-game player models - and most likely, neither of them share any members from the other team (they're probably 100% unique members for both teams).

So yeah, I don't know what you were trying to prove there, but you've proven something else entirely about yourself that you probably didn't want people to know.
I figure most of them have ben working on Starcraft 2 and Diablo III
and don't tell me each game have they're own team...

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:55 am 

I never said anything about the cartoonish style being shoddy or that I even disliked it. I do remember Blizzard mentioning they wanted to keep the feel of Warcraft's art style for WoW, and I like it. Its different and it works. (and i love anime Re: Update: Blizzard's New Character Models ) I still don't think you can compare L2 and WoW though. Thats what I was really getting at.

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:05 pm 

Zilem wrote:
I figure most of them have ben working on Starcraft 2 and Diablo III
and don't tell me each game have they're own team...
Are you being sarcastic? Of course they have their own team. It's a company with different games, each game with a different team, each team working in a different department, each one of those combine to make the whole game.

It isn't 45 people jerking off in the corner while 5 guys work on Diablo 3, SC 2, and Cata a couple hours a day, two days a week. It's a job, like any other.

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:04 am 

Chaisy wrote:
Aren't we still waiting on a dance studio or something along those lines from what was promised but never delivered for the Wrath expansion? I was really looking forward to having a lot more animations to pick from when making videos and screenshots Re: Update: Blizzard's New Character Models .there was a Question abou that, and it was in work, however they current work on something called Cataclysm which they see more important, but it sounded that they realy wanted it created.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9
 >> Next