1, 2, 3
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re Mod manager
Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:20 pm 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:5%

Zilem wrote:
even without those 2 Files removed nothing changed
(they aren't restored aslong you don't run the launcher)

True the 2 Files do point at Blizz MPQ's but not only those pressent in your game, but all in other words every Regions; EU, US, AS, and so
(and the beta client includes all, the PTR only include yours)

Merging MPQ with Blizz's won't work either
as not only do the game pick a selected MPQ's but also anly the right files in it
and if the launcher is runned it will re-download the intire file, instead of checking the MPQ's content first...
There is a "signature" in theyre MPQ's and thise files contains a messy list of what i guess the MPQ contains
and also .lst files which i have no clue on what is used for...

also i have used a lot of time on trying to figure anything out and searching for someone who found out how it's done
but without any luck...

Well, if nothing is able to be done in the end (after a month or two of it being live I'd guess) at least the last reason I still play the game will be gone.

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:10 am 

I think I have the design to make this as "painless" as possible to the end user, but I'll be honest... it's gonna be a bitch to code.

Need to have a way to decompress MPQ files, and permission to use the Model Viewer code.

Instead of moving individual MPQ files around and jacking with loading/overwrite priorities just decompress them and "merge" them into a single "patch-?.MPQ" folder. The use of ModelViewer will allow for determining what the "outcome" of the patch is and with it being a single, merged folder you don't have to worry about loading sequence or anything else. Makes patching a WYSIWYG affair in that respect. Also allows for the quick uninstall of patch data and for Skinners/Modelers to just release a Zip/RAR file that has a TXT for description that can be parsed by the patch installer and maybe a screenshot as well.

At that point you download your mods to a folder where this utility resides and tell the util where your WoW\Data folder is. The only thing it would need to keep track of as far as config is that directory location and which mods are currently installed.

I know it's a kick in the balls to do, but I think that might be the best approach to take to a final design spec for it...

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:42 pm 

tancients wrote:
Currently, it reads only from a specific list of MPQs, and also checks their validity. If there is an error inside one at any time, the game will download from the server the correct files and replace them on the fly.

The Wow.tfil and WoW.mfil files seem to determine both which MPQs to load along with a hash or similar check.

However, unless you specifically set permissions so that the user you're signed on as (your OS, such as Vista), so that it is NOT allowed to rewrite the file ever, WoW will overwrite and rewrite the MPQs with the correct data, even if you just check 'read-only'.

Haven't had a lot of spare time to mess with it, but that's what I've gone so far. People will either have to learn how to merge MPQ files or get an application which will do that for them, unless the mfil/tfil can be properly edited to load additional MPQs without being re-corrected.even without those 2 Files removed nothing changed
(they aren't restored aslong you don't run the launcher)

True the 2 Files do point at Blizz MPQ's but not only those pressent in your game, but all in other words every Regions; EU, US, AS, and so
(and the beta client includes all, the PTR only include yours)

Merging MPQ with Blizz's won't work either
as not only do the game pick a selected MPQ's but also anly the right files in it
and if the launcher is runned it will re-download the intire file, instead of checking the MPQ's content first...
There is a "signature" in theyre MPQ's and thise files contains a messy list of what i guess the MPQ contains
and also .lst files which i have no clue on what is used for...

also i have used a lot of time on trying to figure anything out and searching for someone who found out how it's done
but without any luck...

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3