Previous << 
1, 2, 3
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re Mod manager
Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:06 am 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:0%

I have started working on the MPQ manager. Got tired of having to manually edit MPQ names and keeping track of them in a txt file.
So far it doesn't do anything but I've made most of the necessary files.
If I keep working on it like this, it should be done in a few hours but knowing me it might take a few days.

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:59 pm 

Is there a way to reset the MPQs in the list?

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:18 pm 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:5%

Seriously. Blizzard, think of the perverts!

Maybe release will have an option of turning this new streaming shit off. It's cool tech but I bet it's pretty rough on slow connections.

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:51 pm 

hazer wrote:
I think I have the design to make this as "painless" as possible to the end user, but I'll be honest... it's gonna be a bitch to code.

Need to have a way to decompress MPQ files, and permission to use the Model Viewer code.

Instead of moving individual MPQ files around and jacking with loading/overwrite priorities just decompress them and "merge" them into a single "patch-?.MPQ" folder. The use of ModelViewer will allow for determining what the "outcome" of the patch is and with it being a single, merged folder you don't have to worry about loading sequence or anything else. Makes patching a WYSIWYG affair in that respect. Also allows for the quick uninstall of patch data and for Skinners/Modelers to just release a Zip/RAR file that has a TXT for description that can be parsed by the patch installer and maybe a screenshot as well.

At that point you download your mods to a folder where this utility resides and tell the util where your WoW\Data folder is. The only thing it would need to keep track of as far as config is that directory location and which mods are currently installed.

I know it's a kick in the balls to do, but I think that might be the best approach to take to a final design spec for it...
Nice idea but I have almost no time to do this now since I have large assignments to do for school (and a job) that will take some time but I'll think about the one folder thing. That one sounds doable (for me anyway). I probably won't be updating this at all until maybe sometime in December.

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:53 pm 

Currently, it reads only from a specific list of MPQs, and also checks their validity. If there is an error inside one at any time, the game will download from the server the correct files and replace them on the fly.

The Wow.tfil and WoW.mfil files seem to determine both which MPQs to load along with a hash or similar check.

However, unless you specifically set permissions so that the user you're signed on as (your OS, such as Vista), so that it is NOT allowed to rewrite the file ever, WoW will overwrite and rewrite the MPQs with the correct data, even if you just check 'read-only'.

Haven't had a lot of spare time to mess with it, but that's what I've gone so far. People will either have to learn how to merge MPQ files or get an application which will do that for them, unless the mfil/tfil can be properly edited to load additional MPQs without being re-corrected.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:47 pm 

lightspeed wrote:
Uploaded it.
It's pretty awkward at the moment so I don't think many people will use it.If it will be part of what makes custom MPQ's able to work Cataclysm, then im pretty sure it will be

a lille tweaking can be done, like when chosing the path. i would preffer that i was allow to paste the needed path

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:48 am 

Moved to the Skinning/Patch forum.

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:33 pm 

Well with the 4.0 Client being what it is...
(Both Beta and PTR)

Something like this needs to be made
If it can get into the clients list of which MPQ's it should load

Also a more fitting name for it would deffinetly be "MPQ manager"

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:06 pm 

lightspeed wrote:
Does the Cata client change how MPQ's are loaded?
If so, how has it changed?
And if you can, could you change the title to "MPQ Manager" ? :3Well im not realy sure. it doesn't use anything from non-Blizz MPQ's

The first Post in a Thread/Topic contains the name of it in the [Subject text box]

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:32 am 

I think this may be more appropriate for another forum but could you elaborate?

There's mod managers out there already for websites like curse gaming that will auto-update your mods for you, but are you hinting at something more embedded into w0w? Last I saw the curse client operated almost entirely outside of w0w even running.

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3
 >> Next