Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:39 am 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:0%

hazer wrote:
Buried in all the legal mumbo-jumbo is a section that I think is why the lockdown is active currently:

There's a section in there about "extra data" being loaded with the game that is not released yet and that per their EULA you don't have the rights to access or tamper with it. If you look around in the data directory you'll see a new vid has been loaded (I'd bet it's the new Cata Opening) but you can't play it (unlike Wrathgate or WotLK Opening) currently.

On the surface it would appear this is their "due diligence" to keep the data locked away (which also means a nice slap from DMCA for getting access to it) until patch 4.0.3a goes live or Cata actually ships. I'd hope they'd restore active functionality for the patches after Cata ships, but I'm not holding my breath given that they've actually made an EULA Amendment to cover this kind of thing.

Wishful thinking is sometimes dangerous and put you at risk for dissapointment. In my personal opinion, this does seem to make sense as to a possible explination how the patches are locked at the momment. none of the MPQ files are accessible does support the part about them locking the content. Weather this is their excuse to lock it up or they just want to protect the data before it goes live so ppl dont spoil it is anyone's guess; and thus on the same note hard to say if the lock will be lifted after the new contents are released. As far as the resources I have gathered, this locking method is new and not done when wrath was comming out so there's really nothing to reference to. One thing for sure is, blizzard will not shoot themselves in the foot and will provide a way to patch up their own product. There will always be a way for that to be customized privately, just the complexity of the process may vary. Good thing cata is comming out in the next few weeks. Let's see how this plays out and hope for the best.

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:37 pm 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:5%

The part of the EULA you're quoting can seem to mislead people to believing that this could be a temporary thing and all is well after December 7th. However, I respectfully disagree and here's why.

The Pre-Loaded Software agreement reads to me as general information and does not imply that this is a one-time-thing. For example: Content patches (ie., Fall of the Lich King, Call of the Crusade, Secrets of Ulduar) may include locked software pre-downloaded before the new version goes live. And if it helps keep hackers and malicious/custom software out of the game (be it cosmetic or not), they'll leave it enabled - as a PC tech, I would.

But hell, maybe things will loosen up after Cataclysm, or we'll have to reinvent another WoWme.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:25 pm 

I'm seeing this more as just a cork on the pre-download stuff, more or less.

Like "here you can pre-download our expansions, but don't go datamining them, lol".

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:52 pm 

SoulTrain0217 wrote:
They're probably encrypted using a key that's buried in the actual game client code. Either that, or they're using a proprietary codec, again, buried in the game.

Both, from what I looked at.

New codec + encryption

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:58 pm 

It's meant to be like that.

They know few people will ever read it, but to continue past you must accept the terms, so they can throw whatever amuses them into it .

Think in the UK? it's called "Click-through" agreement or something similar.

And it has about as much legal standing as the hair on my back.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:54 pm 

A lot of software EULAs don't properly hold up in legal precedings because they're counter to many laws in place, all over the world.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:48 pm 

SoulTrain0217 wrote:
I don't think it really addresses the current patch-disablement. It's just an answer to anyone trying to extract/unlock any material that they haven't officially released or authorized.

This is what I got from it as well. It does not look to be directed at "non-sanctioned" modifications, but more directed at unintended use of locked (assumed to be unreleased) software.

It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan

Futa is gross. That is all.

Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:33 pm 

So let me get this straight. You're saying something about "locked software" am I right?
This so called "locked software" is something of the content from the next expansion, and we're dis-allowed to modify it, so where's the problem? Model edits is NOT something that modifies this thing, Model Edits modify EXISTING in-game things. EULA probably has nothing against it, and Blizzard actually do not have a reason to disable these things. From what I've seen, model editers even encourage players to play the game, making it look more like something they'd want, and, as a company, this is very profitable for Blizzard. So as long as we don't venture into the zone of "locked software", we're safe to use any kind of model edits that edit the stuff in-game. I don't see what the big fuss is about.

I'd rather stand in Hell than kneel in Heaven

Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:10 am 

hero001 wrote:
•make a written statement that you have no legal rights when you buy goods
•make a false description about goods
•sell dangerous or unsafe goods
•try to charge for goods sent that you didn't order
•sell short measure or short weight
•give a misleading price, either in writing or verbally.I would say the lock is close related to the highlighted

when i look at a game, i look at something where you can change or refine something
First Textures, Secondly Models, thirdly effects, but only as long it dosn't break anything of the game itself

And some companies enjoy the Mobs and other creations the users make for their game
also Blizz but that is mostly for their RTS: Starcraft and Warcraft

Why do we Create things for games?, simply because we like them
we clearly would not create anything forsomething we did not like/enjoy
and maybe also want to give something back (and us here might be missunderstod, in the real public eyes)

ZackZero wrote:
Now we're starting to venture into the realm of click-wrap licensing and intellectual property law (copyright, DMCA, etc.) - that's one hell of a swamp for anyone to wade through.just put on your best Boots and have your Graphing Hook ready (just in case)

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:36 am 

Zilem wrote:
just put on your best Boots and have your Graphing Hook ready (just in case)
If we're going to go in that way... who's got my line? Re: Did anyone read the EULA?

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4
 >> Next