New Topic Post Reply  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:30 pm 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:0%

heh. Someone had to write it. If it can be written, it can be read. Re: Did anyone read the EULA?

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:03 pm 

How can you read that without your brain melting inside your head? >.> More importantly, how did you read all of the EULA and come across that without your mind turning to goo? All that legal jargon makes my head spin.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:45 am 

property wrote:
The goblin and worgen opening videos are indead inside folders here but I've been unable to play them through any mix of codec's/programs i'm able to think of.

thats because they havent been released yet... u'll have to wait til cata to see those (unless u had the beta... then its a different story)

Avatar: edited pic of Captain Amelia from Treasure Planet from Dr. Comet

site: http://kurumi.sakura.ne.jp/~kemono/html/colors.htm (note its all in Japanese so if ur using google chrome have it translate to english)

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:02 pm 

A gaming company everyone should look at that enjoys people modding their games regardless if it breaks the game or not is Bethesda they seem to enjoy people making things for their games, and if one particular mod is really attractive they will normally implement it in the next game or many games after. it would seem to me that having read all of your post and understanding what i can about modding textures meshes sounds and the like *even tho i dont do it i can understand the time and effort it takes i took 2 class of programming even tho its not related in someways but still* it has spawned in my head that blizzard is not willing to except the fact that enjoying a game with increase pleasure while playing is not aloud. i have seen many games online out there start making parts of their games free to play becouse they know they can reel in more players to join by doing so. one game right now i can think of is champions online. they have a closed beta of free to play content while still maintaining pay to play to give players more stuff to do. Anarchy online has a HUGE free to play side of it also they are coming up with interesting and new expansions that the next oldest one goes free to play with the rest of the core game. blizzard has has WoW for a long time and made about 3-4 major content expansions and all they have still is trial accounts. does anyone really now the percentage of how many trial accounts dont sign up? im not trolling, im not flaming, im stating facts that i myself have come across in my 10 years of online and offline gaming. i dont approve of private servers but ever now and again a little mischief is without a doubt awesome. and no i dont report blizzard about private servers ether because someone somewhere is enjoying their game they way they want to enjoy it, which is fine. but the minute i cant enjoy my game because i want to live my fantasy life of looking at a huge breasted naked women then wtf mate? i think this is just another way another company just wants to control its populace by implementing a run around and locking us out of how we want to experience their game. but yet they want us to tell them when there is faults with in the game it self to fix to make the experience better. which i find to be rather awkward about blizzard compared to other companies just as successful as them. to name a few Funcom, Cryptic, Jagex, and possibly more i cant think of at the moment but i think i have made my point.

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:40 pm 

ZackZero wrote:
Now we're starting to venture into the realm of click-wrap licensing and intellectual property law (copyright, DMCA, etc.) - that's one hell of a swamp for anyone to wade through.

They really should rewrite those to contain the words "Boobies", "Kittens" and "Rainbows" every sentence or two to keep people interested, shouldn't they?

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:28 pm 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:5%

This is also their legal 'lock' on Cata content, installed on the computers of people who have not yet paid for Cata.

I don't think it really addresses the current patch-disablement. It's just an answer to anyone trying to extract/unlock any material that they haven't officially released or authorized.

But, that's my opinion. IANAL.

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:21 am 

hero001 wrote:
(actually this entire topic is spawned by the removal of breasts, if they allowed large breasts then no one would have ever checked the eula...)

Actually, I make a habit of reading it each time it changes. Given the crap that went down with Warden, etc, etc a while back I've been interested in what changes they do make as they make them.

The fun part will be when I find something vile enough that I contact Blizzard and demand a refund of any un-used game time from the date they enact a new EULA. Re: Did anyone read the EULA?

The part that most people seem to be misunderstanding is this:

They locked down access to "unreleased data". They've put a clause in the EULA that makes it a violation to modify game data to access this information. They've modified the client in an attempt to prevent the access of this data. The shotgun effect this has is it also locks out the mods that the community here uses/produces. It makes perfect sense from a program standpoint to take this kind of "broadsword" slice at things. It's simple enough to do and requires almost no upkeep once it's put in place. They can then spend WEEKS pre-loading data in the background to everyone before a 'major' content push and then BINGO, spring it on everyone with a lot of hooplah and fanfare and such.

Those who expect that things will go back to the way they were after Dec 7, I think you're wrong on this one. I don't see them disabling this lockout or making an "exception" to the rules inside the program that govern this. Unfortunately I expect the arms race has started again and for those who want to do model edits are going to have to resort to more "this can get you banned, don't QQ if it does" work....

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:35 pm 

I'll admit I skimmed this.

But for the record, the EULA is designed to give Blizzard the ability to say that the user has constructive knowledge of what kinds of things Blizzard may act on to refuse services to a paying client. Like all such license agreements, it empowers the company to be able to say "We told you we might do this."

What it does NOT do is REQUIRE Blizzard to act. It gives Blizzard an array of options if they feel they need to execute them, but violations of that agreement happen all the time and are simply ignored because the cost of enforcement (in time, effort, surveillance, angering a customer) isn't worth the technical breach of the agreement. So understand that when these agreements are drafted, the intent is to be very broad so as to give the greatest latitude to the company should they need to intervene and invoke refusal of a license.

So I guess in short, don't get too caught up with whether or not what you're doing violates the EULA. A jokingly profane exchange of profanity between friends technically violates EULA. The better question is whether or not what you're doing would constitute the kind of interference with game function that would encourage Blizzard to INVOKE the EULA to stop it.

Generally speaking, cosmetic modifications do not.

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:13 am 

Dam them Re: Did anyone read the EULA? i just hope they fix it for us

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:10 pm 

hazer wrote:
heh. Someone had to write it. If it can be written, it can be read. Re: Did anyone read the EULA?
by someone else Re: Did anyone read the EULA?

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2, 3, 4
 >> Next