New Topic Post Reply  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 3ds Max editing question
Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:18 pm 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:0%

Well I've been tinkering around with 3ds Max for about a week now, and I have two different models of the night elf female that I wish to combine into one, since I like the waist and up of one, but the hips and down of the other. The only problem is that since they are two different models, they have a different vertex count, so I can't just substitute the geoset in for the area I want to replace. So I started thinking of other ways to achieve the same results, and one of which is conforming the base model around the "new and temporary" geoset's, then delete the temporary one, thus leaving me with the base model having roughly the same appearance as the other, but with the original vertex count.

Unfortunately from what I saw, there wasn't any such modifier in 3ds Max. However, I did stumble across two different scripts, Wrapit, which is a pay to use product, and I don't wish to invest in it for one thing at this time, and Max_Retopo. I tried the second one, however it refuses to let me select the source object, leaving me stuck. I'm not sure if it's a Windows 7 thing, or if it might just be outdated. So if anyone knows a way to do something like this with another tool, or even some way around my dilemma with the Max Retopo script, please share your knowledge.

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:18 pm 

ScDK wrote:
3ds max has some few well-hidden modifiers that allow you to more-or-less adapt or even replace a mesh with a external one, but so far it only worked on 3 out of 4 hairstyles i copied from my old Burning Crusade version of the Bloodelf Female, over to the 3.1.3 version. The last hair was a complete mess, and i'm not sure why it didn't work there... but i assume there's a reason for everything XD

I'm going to get Blender and actually try it, given how there, most likely, won't be anymore support for 3DS Max =o (I guess). Beats nagging about how bad it is from past experiences.It's just different, once you learn it and get used to it, it's just as good as max (if not better) :)

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:19 pm 

keinikaidoh wrote:
although blender is very unorthodox in terms of being user friendly, it is undeniably quick and efficient compared to most other 3d editors out there. Using other programs now is like playing WoW without key bindings. Clicking ftl XPand Keyboard turning (if i get your point right)

Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:28 pm 

As far as I'm aware there is no work around for this limitation in max. When I started to do model editing I started in max but I found the limitations to restrictive, so I switched to blender.

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:13 pm 

Blender is free and small for download. You can find the download on redaxle's M2Mod thread.

For a beginner to blender the controls are hideous but once you know the basics its cake.

For a quick Blender run down on the basics, Aside from what's covered in the tutorial for the mesh replacement in redaxle's bundle, the following controls might help

alt+ left click drag to turn camera angle
alt+ shift+ left click drag to drag model around
2 ways to zoom: scroll wheel or alt+ ctrl+ Left click Drag up or down
right click mesh to select, tab to enter edit mode, tab again to exit edit mode.
For all edited mesh: while in edit mode press w, 6, to remove all vertex duplicates.
To split work area, scroll mouse over the edge of the screen until it turns into a double arrow, Right click and click split area. A line will be drawn from where your mouse is across the screen. Slide the line along and left click to divide the screen. Repeat for further divisions.
While mesh is selected, press H to hide. Alt+H to unhide all.
S=size change R = rotation, G= grab and move. select vertex, face, or connection that you want to edit, press those for corresponding edit mode, and then move your mouse for adjustment. Left click when finished.
E= extrude. Do not use this on wow models as it will break the skin texture.

There's the basics of blender. I do realize its completely off topic since you asked for 3dsm tips, but for what you request blender is better at it. You can change the number of vertex as much as you want and the model will not break. To this day I still can't get TP's tool to work properly for me><

Basically to replace 1 mesh with another in blender. You import both models as .m2i place the one you want to trasnfer from off to the side before you import the 2nd one so they don't stack on top of each other. select the doner mesh, write down or remember the name. then select the destination to replace. Click the little arrow and... ...well...hard to explain without pictures and it has been explained with picutres in redaxle's tool. >< go use that XD. it only takes like 30 seconds to do and there's no additional edits required most of the time.

Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14 pm 
Gamer Lv:0 Exp:5%

keinikaidoh wrote:
Basically to replace 1 mesh with another in blender. You import both models as .m2i place the one you want to trasnfer from off to the side before you import the 2nd one so they don't stack on top of each other. select the doner mesh, write down or remember the name. then select the destination to replace. Click the little arrow and... ...well...hard to explain without pictures and it has been explained with picutres in redaxle's tool. >< go use that XD. it only takes like 30 seconds to do and there's no additional edits required most of the time.

I've installed both Blender 2.49b, as well as the 2.55 beta version, but neither of them are giving me an option to import a file that's in m2i format. Is there some custom script I need to install into Blender to enable that option? Though google-ing such turned up no results.

Edit: Ah, I seemed to have overlooked the guide he has for the import/export scripts... >.> Taking care of that now.

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:11 pm 

Figures after I finally get a subscription that they go and screw it up. There's gotta be a way around it though, or at least some preset export settings...

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:08 am 

lagstalker wrote:
It's just different, once you learn it and get used to it, it's just as good as max (if not better) Re: 3ds Max editing question.

I like it better than max lol.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:13 am 

stalker191 wrote:

I've installed both Blender 2.49b, as well as the 2.55 beta version, but neither of them are giving me an option to import a file that's in m2i format. Is there some custom script I need to install into Blender to enable that option? Though google-ing such turned up no results.

Edit: Ah, I seemed to have overlooked the guide he has for the import/export scripts... >.> Taking care of that now.

That is correct. For any others who may be confused, the script for importing m2i files is inside the M2Mod Tool batch file. There's also instructions there as to where you should install those.

Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:15 am 

although blender is very unorthodox in terms of being user friendly, it is undeniably quick and efficient compared to most other 3d editors out there. Using other programs now is like playing WoW without key bindings. Clicking ftl XP

Search for:
New Topic Post Reply  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next